Scoraig, etc Common Grazings Committee shareholders’ meeting minutes

Minutes of a Shareholders Meeting held on 27th March 2016

Present: Malcolm Alston (chair), Cathy Dagg (clerk), Jonah Piggott, Nigel Rushforth, Jessie Millard, David Bush, Sandy Lamb, John Davy, Andy Cox, Luke Richards

Apologies: Jo Baker, Lisa Grant

  1. Tree Planting: Andy Cox has the following trees ready to plant now: 100 alders, 500 rowans, 2500 birches. Planting day to be announced for April 9th, with soup and rolls lunch. 10.15 start. Trees will be left at Malcolm’s turning.
  2. Fertiliser: Andy has some and there may be another bag at Chris Latham’s. Sandy will check. These will also be put at malcolm’s turning. Small sprinkle required per tree
  3. Roe Deer: There are 3, maybe 4, resident this side of the deer fence, hiding in Malcolm’s/Beavitts. Malcolm estimates they have already destroyed about 20% of what he planted last year. Only solution is to shoot all. David will do it if they can be driven out onto the hill.
  4. Fence Repairs: There was more damage than noticed during the walkover after the fire. Agreed that if this takes the job over budget the shortfall will be paid by the Grazing Committee.
  5. Badacrain: Luke suggested that restoring Badacrain to a croft be considered, mainly as he is looking for a croft. Land east of Lee Brown’s may also be suitable for a small croft. Gerry O’Neill to be asked for advice on how to start this process. It was noted that when Sandy Lamb gets the assignation of Chris Latham’s croft he intends to divide it but the timescale on this could be long.
  6. Latham croft: Grazings Committee agreed to support Sandy’s proposal to reverse the process of amalgamating the two parts of Chris Latham’s croft into one and to write to the Crofting Commission when and if appropriate. This matter however is for Rodney Latham to decide to initiate.

Next Meeting Sunday 24th April at 4pm in Secondary School

up to date

Please note that the school teacher’s job is no longer open for applicants as a new teacher was found some months ago.

However the two properties advertised under the property tab above are unsold.

Michel’s house is no longer for sale and is available for rent instead.

STG Minutes January 2016

Scoraig Teaching Group Committee Minutes Jan 2016 as pdf file

Scoraig Teaching Group

Committee Meeting Minutes 12th January ‘16

Present: Jill, Aggie, Chisha, Zoe, Janet, Estha, Anthea
Apologies: Jessie, Lisa, Mairead


(1) Current Balance £2733.82. Total Receipts this year so far £4666.35. Total Payments this year so far £8699.49. This year so far deficit of £4033.14. (There are a number of anticipated receipts so predicted annual deficit expected to be around £2500±).
(2) Fundraising – Christmas Fayre on 6th Dec raised £108.00 – many thanks to all who contributed.


(1) Village Hall Grant Scheme – application submitted, decision pending on potential £1K.
(2) Driftwood – AT5 Form and Short Assured Tenancy Agreement now signed. Deposit banked with Safe Deposits Scotland. Received EPC and EIRC/PAT Certificates. Recommendations from these reports to be discussed. Gas Safety Certificate still outstanding.
(3) Anna has kindly offered to cover Zoe’s maternity break, Anna to be asked about overlap period with Zoe at the end of March.


(1) Zoe to look into the energy saving trust grant, to evaluate whether or not Driftwood would be eligible for funds toward insulation.
2) Anthea to contact Pat regarding upcycling one of Pat’s stored carpets for use in Driftwood.
(3) Davy to be asked about insulating Driftwood doors.
(4) Zoe to investigate prices for underlay.
5) Stuart and Sandy to receive STG minutes.
(6) Thanks to John Davy for work on Driftwood wall.
(7)Thanks to Lawrence and Estha for the timely advise on the Driftwood Rayburn.
(8) As far as the ongoing gas dilemma is concerned, the committee is awaiting confirmation from a contact from Achiltibuie about a possible gas safe engineer who can come and assess the safety of the cooker in Driftwood in line with the requirement for a Gas Safety Certificate.

School Building

(1) Temporary solution to the fuel store problem has been suggested by Anthea involving two wardrobe doors used to replace the rusted corrugated tin covers in use now.
(2) Thank you to Aggie for sorting the toy storage cupboard.


(1) The all-day café and craft fair in December raised £108
(2) Tai Chi is being held every Tuesday at the Secondary school on a per donation basis with an optional Thursday session to all those who cannot make the Tuesday class.
(3) If anyone has any suggestions about fundraising events, please contact a committee member.

Next meeting the 23rd of February 11am.

STG Meeting Minutes Tuesday 3rd November 2015

STG Meeting Minutes     Tuesday 3rd November 2015

Present: Jill, Aggie, Jan, Estha, Lisa, Jessie, Anthea, Zoë

Apolgies: Chisha, Mairead


(1) Admin Update:

(i) Accounts – Current balance £4,637.04. Bills from Nigel and Luke have been received, so total for the Driftwood Porch refurb is now £1210.60. Further stonework required. The Brunch raised £105.05 and the Curry Night £108.

(ii) VAT Charity Registration – STG now recognised by HMRC as a charity for tax purposes. Eligible the following:

Gift Aid – donations above £20 we can claim back income tax paid by donor if they fill in the appropriate form. Suggest now giving out forms.

Small Donations Scheme – donations of £20 or less can claim 25% back from HMRC. Again suggest we do this from now on.

VAT Relief – on some goods and services, power and fuel and goods for disabled people. This needs to be negotiated with suppliers at point of sale so any relevant future purchases should have this in mind.

(iii)OSCR Return – Submitted and accepted though they noted that name of Trustees need to be included in the annual report. I supplied them with the names, Jill Beavitt as Chair, Estha Rushforth as Treasurer and Jessie Millard as Secretary and will ensure this included in future years.

(iv) OSCR Constitution Changes – The appropriate form has been submitted but no response as yet.

(v) Registration as Landlord for Driftwood as Long term Let – Form has been completed and returned. Further requirements are an Energy Performance Certificate (DM Hall or Allied Surveyors could do it £135±), Furnished – fire safety tickets on all furniture supplied. (Jill looking into Gas Saftey and Electrical Certification).

(vi) Village Hall Grant Scheme – due 31st December – confirmed committee is happy for this to be applied for again this year. Potential £1k towards running costs.


(2) Driftwood

(a) Landlord Registration

The various aspects of landlord registration were discussed :

(1) Electrical certificate

(2) Gas certificate

(3) Energy performance certificate

(b) Fire Safety

Book to be started and regular checks need to be done.

(c) Long term let

‘Driftwood’ will be tenanted as a long term (permanent) let as from the 27th December 2015.

(d) Fuel

For short term tenants fuel will be provided as part of the rent.

(e) List of suppliers

A list of useful suppliers will be provided by the end of December.

(f) Tenancy Agreement

The terms of the tenancy agreement for long-term let were discussed.


(3) Secondary School

(a) Events :

Curry night was successful and enjoyed by all.

Fireworks night to be held Saturday 7th November.

Produce/craft fair and all day cafe to be held Saturday 6th December at the secondary school

10.30 – 3pm. To book a table txt Anthea. ( 0777 0415611)

(b) Camping

‘Camping’ in the school will be discussed further at a later date.



Date of next meeting –   Tuesday 1st December at 11am

SCA Extraordinary General Meeting

SCA Extraordinary General Meeting

held on Sunday 25th October 2015

Present: Malcolm Alston, Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Nigel Rushforth, Aggie Brudenell, Estha Rushforth

Apologies: Ewan Bush

  1. Minutes of previous meeting read and approved.
  1. Laurence resigned as chair. Cathy proposed Malcolm as chair, seconded by Estha. Malcolm agreed on the understanding that Winnie would take priority over SCA and proposed a vice or rotating chair . It was agreed a temporary chair could be nominated if necessary. Malcolm proposed to introduce a 90 minute maximum duration for SCA meetings unless otherwise agreed in advance.
  1. Road: It was agreed that a lorry load of Ullapool quarry aggregate, this being 19 tonnes at a price of £358 would be ordered. A volunteer day will be called for bagging and ferrying. Meanwhile Douglas Miles from Highland Council has been on holiday and not responded to our request for materials but this avenue will still be pursued, and HC will be asked if any left-over part loads after road works in the area could be given to us.
  1. Community Broadband: a request will be made for more information, particularly about potential start-up costs per household.
  1. Bonfire Night Saturday 7th November, 5pm start. STG are sending notes round. Malcolm requests that any contributions of firewood be added to feeder piles not main bonfire.
  1. Lighthouse: Aggie has given it a thorough clean.
  1. Next meeting 29th November 3pm in SSS.


download SCA EGM 25.10.15