The BroomPower Community Share offer opened on 30th April 2016 and will close on 31st Aug (or earlier if the full amount has been reached). The minimum investment is £300 (due to related administration costs) and investors can invest any amount from £300 up to the maximum of £90,000. Group investments, investments on behalf of children and grandchildren and payment by installments will all be accepted. Each investor (or group) will receive one vote regardless of the amount invested and the level of your investment will remain confidential. If for any reason the scheme does not commence, then all payments will be returned to investors by 30th Sept 2016.
The level of interest paid on Community Shares will be recommended by the Board each year and voted on by members. The target level is 4%, but this may vary and no interest will be paid until generation has begun.
Investors should expect to maintain their investment for at least five years and can request that their capital be repaid in full or in part any time after that. All requests will be considered equally by the Board and the intention is to repay approx. 1/20th of the capital each year of generation. Under exceptional circumstances, capital may be repaid earlier than 3 years at the discretion of the Board. Once an investor is repaid in full, that investor’s membership will end.
Minutes of a Shareholders Meeting held on 27th March 2016
Present: Malcolm Alston (chair), Cathy Dagg (clerk), Jonah Piggott, Nigel Rushforth, Jessie Millard, David Bush, Sandy Lamb, John Davy, Andy Cox, Luke Richards
Apologies: Jo Baker, Lisa Grant
Tree Planting: Andy Cox has the following trees ready to plant now: 100 alders, 500 rowans, 2500 birches. Planting day to be announced for April 9th, with soup and rolls lunch. 10.15 start. Trees will be left at Malcolm’s turning.
Fertiliser: Andy has some and there may be another bag at Chris Latham’s. Sandy will check. These will also be put at malcolm’s turning. Small sprinkle required per tree
Roe Deer: There are 3, maybe 4, resident this side of the deer fence, hiding in Malcolm’s/Beavitts. Malcolm estimates they have already destroyed about 20% of what he planted last year. Only solution is to shoot all. David will do it if they can be driven out onto the hill.
Fence Repairs: There was more damage than noticed during the walkover after the fire. Agreed that if this takes the job over budget the shortfall will be paid by the Grazing Committee.
Badacrain: Luke suggested that restoring Badacrain to a croft be considered, mainly as he is looking for a croft. Land east of Lee Brown’s may also be suitable for a small croft. Gerry O’Neill to be asked for advice on how to start this process. It was noted that when Sandy Lamb gets the assignation of Chris Latham’s croft he intends to divide it but the timescale on this could be long.
Latham croft: Grazings Committee agreed to support Sandy’s proposal to reverse the process of amalgamating the two parts of Chris Latham’s croft into one and to write to the Crofting Commission when and if appropriate. This matter however is for Rodney Latham to decide to initiate.
Next Meeting Sunday 24th April at 4pm in Secondary School
(1) Current Balance £2733.82. Total Receipts this year so far £4666.35. Total Payments this year so far £8699.49. This year so far deficit of £4033.14. (There are a number of anticipated receipts so predicted annual deficit expected to be around £2500±).
(2) Fundraising – Christmas Fayre on 6th Dec raised £108.00 – many thanks to all who contributed.
(1) Village Hall Grant Scheme – application submitted, decision pending on potential £1K.
(2) Driftwood – AT5 Form and Short Assured Tenancy Agreement now signed. Deposit banked with Safe Deposits Scotland. Received EPC and EIRC/PAT Certificates. Recommendations from these reports to be discussed. Gas Safety Certificate still outstanding.
(3) Anna has kindly offered to cover Zoe’s maternity break, Anna to be asked about overlap period with Zoe at the end of March.
(1) Zoe to look into the energy saving trust grant, to evaluate whether or not Driftwood would be eligible for funds toward insulation.
2) Anthea to contact Pat regarding upcycling one of Pat’s stored carpets for use in Driftwood.
(3) Davy to be asked about insulating Driftwood doors.
(4) Zoe to investigate prices for underlay.
5) Stuart and Sandy to receive STG minutes.
(6) Thanks to John Davy for work on Driftwood wall.
(7)Thanks to Lawrence and Estha for the timely advise on the Driftwood Rayburn.
(8) As far as the ongoing gas dilemma is concerned, the committee is awaiting confirmation from a contact from Achiltibuie about a possible gas safe engineer who can come and assess the safety of the cooker in Driftwood in line with the requirement for a Gas Safety Certificate.
(1) Temporary solution to the fuel store problem has been suggested by Anthea involving two wardrobe doors used to replace the rusted corrugated tin covers in use now.
(2) Thank you to Aggie for sorting the toy storage cupboard.
(1) The all-day café and craft fair in December raised £108
(2) Tai Chi is being held every Tuesday at the Secondary school on a per donation basis with an optional Thursday session to all those who cannot make the Tuesday class.
(3) If anyone has any suggestions about fundraising events, please contact a committee member.