SCA Minutes of a meeting held on 8th September 2019 to discuss Asbestos

Scoraig Community Association

Minutes of a meeting held on 8th September 2019  to discuss Asbestos

Present: Malcolm Alston, Mark Fletcher, Jan Betts, Lisa Burstall, Estha Rushforth, Hannah Farbiszewska, Cathy Dagg, Bev Beavitt

  1. Minutes of previous meeting, approval deferred to next full SCA meeting
  • Asbestos

Hannah described the health hazards of asbestos. She feels strongly that the only safe exposure is zero and that the type of asbestos is irrelevant.

It was pointed out that:

  • Asbestos has been banned since 1999 so only old, recycled roofing sheets or old Rayburns etc will contain the material.
  • if undisturbed, eg when sealed in roofing material it is safe and only becomes a problem when the material breaks up. It can be sealed further by painting, particularly broken edges

The question arose as to where on Scoraig there might be asbestos in an unstable state:

  • Sandy Lamb has been  breaking up some asbestos sheets and some of this material is strewn alongside the path leading through the Latham croft to the school. Sandy proposes to remove this
  • Some asbestos material was thought to be at Scoraig pier area but this has been found to be not the case
  • Material removed recently from the primary school has been safely disposed of by professionals
  • There is some removed and partially buried sheeting at the Glass house
  • Many other households may have asbestos panels as it is an excellent insulating material and demolition/removal would cause more problems than leaving in place

What to do with asbestos deemed unsafe:

Asbestos removal service will deal with it, initially by wrapping in 1000 gauge plastic before removal, but this service will cost. If a small amount that can be dealt with in half a day they would be able to combine it with another job for less cost.

Grants have been available in the past to remove asbestos roofing and may become available again

The SCA could take responsibility for removal of material from public spaces but can only advise residents if it’s on private property.

It was agreed that an information sheet should be circulated, giving advice and website addresses etc . cathy will prepare this

It was agreed that asbestos should become a standard agenda item for SCA meetings

It was agreed help should be offered to Hannah to deal with the Glass House material

AOB

Update on public access defibrillator. Jan shared the information she had found out, including costs and the need for an electrical connection. Various possible funding sources were mentioned. It was noted that if 999 is called but then the defib is used, the countdown for the ambulance is halted.

Beach Clean date set for Saturday October 19th

Next SCA meeting Sunday October 20th at 4pm in SCC

SCA minutes of ordinary meeting 19th August

Minutes of an Ordinary Meeting following the AGM on 19th August

Present: Laurence Glass, Malcolm Alston, Dale Nicolson, Jo Baker, Jessie Millard, Jan Betts, Paul Betts, Jill Beavitt, Hannah Farbiszewska, Mark Fletcher, Mary Lawrenson, Sarrel Worsley, Lisa Burstall, Aggie Brudenell, Nigel Rushforth, Cathy Dagg, Andy Cox

Apologies: Ian Hammond, Bev Beavitt, Estha Rushforth, Paul Worsley

  1. Minutes of previous meeting were read and approved with one amendment: that Jan Betts’ name be added to the list of apologies for absence
  2. Matters Arising:
  3. Defibrillator: the first responder Defibrillator now has a flat battery so is non-functioning. It is unclear whether the community own it and whether a new battery can be bought or acquired. Luke had been investigating acquiring a public access defib. It was pointed out that the process must be fairly simple as Morefield and Ardmair have recently acquired one. It was agreed Paul Betts would contact the GP surgery as a first step, get a costing etc.

Dale summarised for the meeting why the First responder group is no longer active.

  • Route Markers to burial ground: these white painted marker pegs are now all in place.
  • Achmore track: Filled sandbags are now stacked at the bottom of the track. Laurence thinks these combined with aggregate will be more effective than levering rocks in. Luke might be persuaded to take the sandbags up the track to where needed. People could also put stones in holes every time they walk up the track.
  • Badluarach jetty step and crack on west side. It was agreed a letter will be written to HC asking them to assess the work required and whether they will do it themselves or offer it to, for example, Ewan Bush
  • Replacement of square rings on Scoraig pier. Luke had thought he could round these off and add some more on the east side. It was agreed this could be a paid job. Lisa will approach Luke.
  • Road job: The wet summer has made the road deteriorate. Another load of aggregate is due.Sandbags are filled and waiting for the road crew to have time to start on the Ruigh’Riabhach hill.  Laurence pointed out that residents of Ruigh’Riabhach could get their own road crew together to do the work, advised by Laurence. Cathy proposed congratulations and thanks to Laurence for all his work.
  • Sleeping Policement at Scoraig Community Centre (SSS) The proposed runoffs will be done in good time
  • Badluarach Parking: Cathy summarised the achievements of the recent appeals for dead cars, caravans etc to be removed. Winnie’s funeral did have the effect of galvinising activity but the end result is only the permanent removal of 2 vehicles. It was suggested that trailers could be parked in Gayle’s field, but was agreed that while this worked as a temporary measure it shouldn’t be seen as a permanent solution
  • Scrap: Andy Cox has contacted Highland Clearances in Muir of Ord. Laurence observed that the growing pile of scrap in the old Peter Young’s garage site is in the way of any useful development there and should be removed as a priority. It was suggested that scrap should not be ferried to Badluarach without a definite arrangement for its onward journey. Batteries at Ruighriabhach will be collected by the road crew when they’re working down that end. Money from sale of scrap will go to whoever does the work and they can decide whether to donate it to SCA or STG. Lisa will contact HC.
  • Helicopter landing spots. Cathy now has the details and will distribute these with the request that they be kept clear of trees or tractors.
  • Beach Clean: provisionally arranged for October 19th at 11am, to be confirmed. Three groups will work as at the previous session.
  • Black tanks: Plinths etc at each location will be constructed by those nearest.
  • Electric cars. Dale raised the need for planning for the changeover. Ewan Bush has been looking into possibilities and will chase funding on behalf of SCA
  • Asbestos: Hannah raised the problem of asbestos deteriorating in various locytions along the peninsula and presenting a serious health risk. It was agreed that research needed to be done into how to deal with it and whose responsibility this would be and that the issue should be deferred to a meeting dedicated to this problem
  • Recycling: Cathy proposes to establish collecting points at the pier for domestic batteries, mobile phones and crisp packets with a view to adding more categories as we find recyclers for different items.
  • Next meeting will be Sunday September 8th at 4pm with asbestos on the agenda.

SCA Minutes of the Annual General Meeting 2019

Scoraig Community Association

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting 2019

Present: Laurence Glass, Malcolm Alston, Dale Nicolson, Jo Baker, Jessie Millard, Jan Betts, Paul Betts, Jill Beavitt, Hannah Farbiszewska, Mark Fletcher, Mary Lawrenson, Sarrel Worsley, Lisa Burstall, Aggie Brudenell, Nigel Rushforth, Cathy Dagg, Andy Cox

Apologies: Ian Hammond, Bev Beavitt, Estha Rushforth, Paul Worsley

  1. Minutes of previous AGM, held on 2.9.18 were read and approved.  One addition to these minutes is that Luke was contacted about his intentions to continue on the committee. He was subsequently added to the list
  2. The 2018-2019 committee resigned and were re-elected. The committee therefore consists of:  Malcolm Alston, Jill Beavitt, Aggie Brudenell, Cathy Dagg, Laurence Glass, Jessie Millard, Dale Nicolson, Estha Rushforth, Nigel Rushforth, Lisa Burstall
  3. It was agreed that the Articles of Association should be checked to see whether there is an upper limit on the number of committee members. If not, Sarrel Worsley will be considered to be elected. If there is a limit which has been reached, Jessie and Dale offered to stand down to allow Sarrel to take over. Luke will be approached to clarify his intentions to continue
  4. Office Bearers were appointed as follows:

Chair: Malcolm Alston

Treasurer: Nigel Rushforth

Secretary: Cathy Dagg with Sarrel Worsley as under-secretary

  • Treasurer: The work done by Hugh Piggott was noted and appreciated
  • Treasurer’s Report and financial statement. This was perused and accepted with no comments.

SCA Minutes of a meeting held on 30.6.19

Scoraig Community Association

Minutes of a meeting held on 30.6.19

Present: Malcolm Alston, Laurence Glass, Mary Lawrenson, Mark Fletcher, Jo Baker, Nigel Rushforth, Cathy Dagg, Paul Betts, Rachel Wareham.

Apologies : Lisa Burstall, Dale Nicholson, Ian Hamond,  Estha Rushforth, Jill Beavitt

  1. Minutes of previous meeting were read and approved.
  • Matters Arising

Defibrillator. The oxygen cylinder in the defib. bag is now 3 years out of date. It belongs to the community so we will make enquiries about replacing it.

Cemetery markers are now in place although a couple more are needed

Achmore Track needs upgrade/repair at least as far as the stile. It was agreed that a work party would concentrate on improving one section to begin with, but the road team want to prioritise moving aggregate for now, so a Volunteer Day date won’t be arranged until the AGM.

Badluarach Jetty steps. The repair done by HC is holding together. PB mentioned the crack on the east side. This was repaired by LG and Ewan Bush a few years ago and may now need doing again

Scoraig pier, replacement of square rings: nothing has been done yet.

Road: half the aggregate material has been ferried over. Finances are good, there is money for another load of aggregate. LG has ordered 100 sandbags. The road crew are starting to get on top of the potholes so could move on to the Ruigh’riabhach hill.

Sleeping policemen at the Scoraig Community Centre. These have not yet been done but work is planned

  • Badluarach Parking: CD apologised for not sending out the memo agreed at the previous meeting. Agreed that we all use more vehicles nowadays, but that the parking should be primarily for cars not trailers and definitely not abandoned or dead vehicles. The problem is identifying the abandoned vehicles. Agreed that the previous ‘soft’ approach hasn’t been successful and a stronger message is needed. Agreed that a memo would be sent, forewarning that a more forceful approach will be adopted.
  • Lighthouse: The meeting thanked Dale for the work he has done on refreshing the information panels and Luke for the work on the exterior. MF asked how this paid work was given out. MA: according to peoples abilities and tools for the job. CD apologised that it had not been a formal committee decision to commission Luke to paint the exterior.
  • Scoraig Community Centre Group: ML informed the meeting that this is the new official name for the former STG. At the recent AGM of the former STG it was agreed to rename the Secondary |School/former Church the Scoraig Community Centre. The Scoraig Community Centre Group want to fundraise and tell people more about Scoraig, possibly through selling postcards. There may be a request for good images.
  • Scrap. JB enquired about proposals for a scrap trip. PB and LG offered to move batteries from Barham’s. CD mentioned the growing scrap pile in Chris’s quarry. This is mostly Alison Weightman’s.
  • Helicopter landings: IH reported that the recent emergency helicopter had had difficulty finding a safe landing. There are designated landing places agreed some years ago but there is no record. CD will enquire if anyone has information.
  • Black water tanks. There was a discussion as to where the three tanks bought by SCA should  be placed at. First suggestion was the pier, the Scoraig Community Centre and at the east end, but it was felt that seawater was easily accessible to the west and that Chris’s quarry, the quarry above Malcolm’s and out East would be better. There needs to be a volunteer day to get them in place. It was noted that the SCA paid Scoraig Sea taxi for the tanks and the VAT should be reclaimable from Lisa.
  • Beach Clean: MA suggested another beach clean during the school holidays
  1. AGM date provisionally set as Sunday 18th August at 4

Cheers, Cathy

Note that AGM is now Sunday 25th August