AGM 2014

Scoraig Community Association

AGM 2014

Minutes of AGM and meeting held on 14.9.14 PDF download

AGM

Present: Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Estha Cutler, Dale Nicholson, Martha Kerr, Nigel Rushforth, Dave Lucas, Liz McMillan, Luke Richards, Djinni van Slyke, Anthea Douglas, Bill Burstall, Andy Cox, Malcolm Alston, Winnie, Bev Beavitt, Mark Fletcher, Aggie Brudenell, Wojcieck Paszczyk, Jill Beavitt

  1. Chairs Report: Report on the activities of SCA since last AGM was read out by Laurence Glass
  2. Treasurers Report: Report on the financial state of SCA was read out by Estha Cutler, and accounts produced by Hugh were read and approved
  3. Mooring Boat finances were reported
  4. All directors resigned
  5. Election of directors: Laurence Glass, Malcolm Alston, Cathy Dagg, Wojcieck Paszczyk and Aggie Brudenell were re-elected. Bill Burstall and Dale Nicholson elected as new directors.

Meeting

  1. Road Job: Hugh has ordered bags for pebbles and Bill has bought some from Mos: 900 half-size for £50. John Sangster’s digger is still out of action so Andy Cox will try using his machine. Chris Latham’s crusher is working again but hasn’t yet produced any material for the road. It was agreed some hand-digging of ditches would be useful while waiting for sand, especially beyond Shanti Griha. Laurence proposed a meeting of interested road workers to plan the winters work. There is £3000 to spend before the end of February. Malcolm suggested filling of surface puddles should still be a priority. Dale expressed an interest in working on the Badralloch footpath.
  2. Mooring Boat: Andy Cox offered to take responsibility fo ensuring there is always enough fuel in the boat for a return trip, and to mark the mooring boat fuel tanks for easy identification.Laurence proposes o get a new rope before winter. The boat will be taken out of the water this week and the Serena put in. A plea is put out for all users to make sure they use the correct knot on the mooring rope, and ask to be shown if they’re unsure.
  3. Pier Extension: Aggie and Andy are working on this , looking at options and funding. Recent work on the Badluarach pier area was carried out by HC roads dept not pier authorities.
  4. Fire Equipment: Dundonnell Estate is sending us 6 fire beaters. Grazings Committee has a cheque for £169.25 from the fire dept, we need to decide how best to spend it. Backpacks or tanks to fit on quads.
  5. First Responders: new rota will be distributed by the end of the month
  6. Shanti Griha: Jill read out a letter the STG proposes to send to Kathrin Cooper asking her to reconsider letting Shanti Griha to Luke and Pixie. Malcolm proposed the letter get the support of the SCA, this was carried unanimously.
  7. Minutes of meetings: Cathy agreed to produce paper copies and within a week.
  8. Next meeting: 9th November. This will start as road-job sub-group followed by general meeting.

Changes to Articles of Association

At a directors meeting on 29.9.13, we discussed the problem of  members not being able to take paid employment with the SCA, this being particularly relevant to the road job. We agreed to suggest the following changes to the Articles of Association:

4. Employees of the company shall not be eligible for membership; a person who becomes an employee of the company after admission to membership shall automatically cease to be a member.

Proposed: delete this entirely

 

And to the Memorandum of Association:

4b. No part of the income or property of the company shall be paid or transferred (directly or indirectly) to the members of the company, whether by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise.

Proposed: change wording of this to clarify that payment of eg Highland Council money for road work can be channelled through the SCA.

4c. No director of the company shall be appointed as a paid employee of the company: no director shall hold any office under the company for which a salary or fee is payable

4d. No benefit (whether in money or in kind) shall be given by the company to any director except in (i)repayment of out-of-pocket expense or (ii)reasonable payment in return for particular services (not being of a management nature) actually rendered to the company

Proposed: retain these clauses. (Directors of the SCA will continue not to be able to do road job or any similar for payment.)

We will need to call an Extraordinary General Meeting and hold a vote on whether or not to make these changes. The resolution will only be passed if 75% of the votes are in favour, and there can’t be any postal or proxy votes, so we hope you’ll come along.

We propose to hold this meeting on Sunday 8th December

There will be a reminder sent out nearer the time

 

Cheers,  Cathy (Secretary to SCA)

Minutes of a Directors Meeting held on 29.9.13

Scoraig Community Association

Minutes of a Directors Meeting held on 29.9.13

Present: Laurence, Cathy, Ewan, Estha, Bill, Chris Latham

1.Articles of Association

It was agreed to recommend for amendment the sections of the Articles of Association and Memorandum of Association for the SCA covering the issue of members being employed, to allow members but not directors to take employment such as the road job. Any such amendment or deletion must win  75% of the vote of members present at an Extraordinary General Meeting.

A note will be sent to all Scoraig residents outlining the proposed amendments and notifying them of an EGM on December 8th

 

2. Membership

It was noted that membership of the SCA is less formal than required under the Articles of Association, which require a signed application and a register of members. Members will be requested to sign a short form at the next meeting.

 

3. Minutes of Previous Meeting

Minutes of AGM were approved

Matters arising:

Gas: Laide Post Office have put a gas cylinder cage at the pier and provide free regulators for people switching to Calor. To order gas, phone the post office, who will authorise Bill to deliver

Post Office: This will open at the Badcaul clinic a couple of days a week, details to come.

 

4. Road JoB

Bill read out a breakdown of figures may 2012-Sept 2013:

 

Labour……..

Vehicle         £1231.22

Personnel     £3186.47

subtotal    £4417.69

Materials…..Chippings     £242

Bags (filled)  £666.65

subtotal   £908.65

Total   £5326.25

There followed a discussion on how to spend the present budget, and whether to prioritise the section below Lotts. Agreed that a budget of £1000 for chippings should be allocated for along Lotts, and £1200 for bags of pebbles along Carnoch/Ruigh’riabhach, and that by February if one budget had been used up but not the other, money could be transferred. A day was set for a volunteer day of October 5th. Ewan will experiment with doing stone slab run-offs with Andy Cox.

 

5. Next Meeting:  Extraordinary General Meeting on Sunday 8th December

Cathy

SCA AGM 2013 minutes

Scoraig Community Association

Annual   General Meeting  8.9.13

 

Present: Laurence Glass, Chris Latham, Ewan Bush, Martha Kerr, Bill Burstall, Cathy Dagg, Aggie Brudenell, Estha Cutler, Andy Cox, Nigel Rushforth, Wojcieck Paszczyk, Jessie Millard, Jill Beavitt, Malcolm Alston, Bev Beavitt

Apologies: Andrew Rivett

1.Chair’s Report: Laurence read out the chair’s report

2. Treasurer’s Report: This was circulated

3. Resignation and election of directors:

The following were elected as directors:

Estha Cutler                        proposed L Glass seconded C. Dagg

Laurence Glass                   proposed C. Dagg, seconded B Beavitt

Malcolm Alston                 proposed J Beavitt  seconded E. Cutler

Aggie Brudenell                 proposed L Glass seconded E Cutler

Nigel Rushforth                  proposed L Glass seconded M Alston

Wojcieck Paszczyk            proposed L Glass    seconded A Brudenell

Cathy Dagg                         proposed A Brudenell  seconded  B Beavitt

Jessie Millard                     proposed C Dagg   seconded J Beavitt

Office bearers were agreed by the directors to be: Laurence Glass as Chair, Cathy Dagg as secretary, Estha Cutler as treasurer.

 

4. Closure of Dundonnell Post Office

It has been arranged that shopping and papers will be delivered from Laide post office, but they don’t do gas. Frank Nichol have offered to erect a cage at the pier and do free delivery for orders of 6 or more, and Bill could co-ordinate releasing cylinders once paid for. We need to find out which gas people use and whether they are willing to change to Calor.

 

5. Scrap

Bev proposed a scrap collection. Andy Cox can now collect on the peninsula, but isn’t licensed to transport on public roads. Jill suggested voluntary tidy ups and scrap collection are fun community activities and would prefer these to continue. Agreed there would be a scrap collection date set for a weekend during October break.

 

6. Road

It was agreed Martha and Athini should carry on as before doing repairs, and Ewan would co-ordinate a volunteer day of improvements along the bottom of Lotts, using Chris’ chippings and completing a section to a fairly high standard. Bill, in his continuing role as co-ordinator, feels winkle sacks of pebbles are still the best option for repairs. It was felt by some that the plastic sacks are unsightly, but they are only visible due to not enough subsoil covering them. Ewan suggested run-offs could be excavated with a digger.

Agreed there should be a road sub-committee of Bill, Martha, Estha, Chris, Ewan, Andy C.

Agreed that a budget breaking down how the money would be spent should be presented to SCA for approval.

Ewan will organise a Volunteers Day on 28th September

 

7. Pier Extension Proposals

It was felt by the steering group that since the results of the questionnaire were support for this, we were obliged to pursue it. Ewan is resigning from the group, but Andy C is happy to get involved

 

8. Fundraising

Agreed that Bonfire Night and Burns supper were best events for fundraising. An auction was suggested, with the possibility of one of the items being the old mooring boat engine, but there is support for the engine being kept as a spare. Estha offered to organise the auction, with Bill as auctioneer.  A fundraising event at Easter was suggested, possibly a sports day/vintage tractor rally. Laurence offered to develop the idea.

 

9. Mooring Boat

Bev raised a vote of thanks to Aggie for keeping the system going.  There is £2011 in the high interest account and £139 in the current account. Income has been £2069 and outgoings £898 excluding the new engine. We haven’t had the bill for harbour dues yet.

 

10. Next Meeting: 29th September

 

Cheers

Cathy

 

 

AGM rescheduled

SCA AGM

SUNDAY 8th SEPTEMBER 2.30 SCORAIG SECONDARY SCHOOL

CHAIRMANS REPORT AND TREASURERS REPORT FOLLOWED BY THE RESIGNATION OF DIRECTORS AND MEMBERS FOLLOWED BY AN ELECTION OF NEW DIRECTORS  AND MEMBERS.

THERE WILL PROBABLY BE A QUICK MEETING AFTER THE ELECTION TO DISCUSS ANY PROJECTS OR MATTERS ARISING PERTAINING TO HOW THE SCA WOULD LIKE TO PROCEED IN THE COMING YEAR

ALL WELCOME  – PLEASE BRING £1 MEMBERSHIP FEE TO THE MEETING!

==========================================================

SCA FORMAL ACCOUNTS AND REPORT 2013

============================================================

TREASURER’S REPORT by Hugh Piggott

 

SCA finances are in good shape, but fundraising activities did not quite cover outgoings over the last twelve months.  It is useful to hold some money in the bank to pay for road work pending reimbursement by the Council.

The balance of money held is as follows:

December 2011

August 2012

August

2013

Undesignated funds

£1,009

£2,089

£1,597

Designated Highland Council “road money”

£1,081

£240

-£172

Total in bank account and cash held

£2,090

£2,329

£1,425

 

ROAD WORKS

We have spent £3,512 of Council money on road work over the last 12 months, including backlog of funds, and a £3,000 budget for last financial year. (Also £172 of this year’s budget was accidentally overspent in March.  This can be recovered in our next invoice to the Council.)

Spending was halted in the Spring pending a new understanding with the Council, but we have recently heard that they will pay up to £3,000 again this financial year, if anyone actually wants to work on the road.  If the work is not done, then the money will not be paid.  It is also acceptable to the Council for SCA to add a charge for supervision of the work costing up to 10% of the total spent.

 

UN-DESIGNATED FUNDS

Here is a breakdown of Income and Expenditure since the last AGM in December.

Income Expenditure

 Membership fees

£12

Insurance

£108

 email and website

£60

email and website

£53

 Lighthouse donations

£75

Accountant

£464

Burns Night (net takings)

£125

Fireworks

£47

Administration of road job (10% of £2727)

£273

Materials for pier shed upgrade

£365

Total income

£545

Total expenses

£1,037

 

Not all email users have paid their subscriptions – there remains £90 over-due.

Accountant costs were high due to two years’ bills being paid within twelve months.

I am resigning as treasurer as I do not wish to attend meetings, but I am willing to help with the accounts if required.

All the best,

Hugh

SCA AGM SUNDAY 25th AUGUST 2.30 SCORAIG SECONDARY SCHOOL

SCA AGM

SUNDAY 25th AUGUST 2.30 SCORAIG SECONDARY SCHOOL

CHAIRMANS REPORT AND TREASURERS REPORT FOLLOWED BY THE RESIGNATION OF DIRECTORS AND MEMBERS FOLLOWED BY AN ELECTION OF NEW DIRECTORS  AND MEMBERS.

THERE WILL PROBABLY BE A QUICK MEETING AFTER THE ELECTION TO DISCUSS ANY PROJECTS OR MATTERS ARISING PERTAINING TO HOW THE SCA WOULD LIKE TO PROCEED IN THE COMING YEAR

ALL WELCOME

<Minutes of previous meetings here>

Broadband survey, and chance of better service

Ewan Young of Ullapool Community Trust got in touch with the SCA to offer support and to suggest that we individually complete a Broadband Questionnaire.  This might in time lead to improved internet services for the residents on the peninsula.

Download the questionnaire as a word file here.UCT Broadband Survey and send your completed return to UCT.

Minutes of meeting 25th November 2012

Scoraig Community Association

Members Meeting  25.11.12

Present: Directors: Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Hugh Piggott, Jytte Piggott, Aggie Brudenell, Nigel Rushforth, Malcolm Alston Members: Estha Cutler, Bill  Burstall

Apologies: Susan McSweeney

1.     SCA Finances

The SCA has £600 in the bank and is owed £900 by HC. There is still £2000 to be spent on roadwork this financial year. Hugh has been adding the 10% administrative surcharge to HC invoices.

 

2.     Fireworks for Bonfire Night

The STG approached Laurence to ask if the SCA would share the costs. Laurence then paid the 50% himself. It was agreed to reimburse Laurence and that it was good to support this community event

 

3. Fundraising

The question was raised as to whether we need to carry out a fundraising event. The ideas of a summer agricultural show or vintage tractor show were raised. It was agreed to organise the usual Burns Supper in January.

 

4. Pier Shed: Badluarach

The question of who actually owns the pier shed has not yet been answered. It does not belong to Highland Council and is probably on Estate land. This may be investigated further but it is more likely we will just go ahead with repairs. Bill has costed as follows: top rail for the sliding door £160, the door itself can be patched up, runner at the bottom of the door would be £100 or it could be given a groove during raising of the floor. It seems it will be a relatively easy job to cut a space for a cheap window, using the existing lintel. The birds nests and lime deposits will be pressure washed out and the leak on the back wall fixed. Total costs of materials and work £300.

 

5. Pier Shed: Scoraig

The broken windows have been fixed and some painting done. Bill may finish the painting soon if the weather is good. The 30m of replacement cladding will be bought next week. Topher is pleased with the work so far. There is an issue with the guttering on the east side, which drips onto the notice board, but this is because the corrugated roofing is too short. The guttering could be taken off altogether, but the water barrel on the downpipe is useful. There is now no electricity in the shed after the wind turbine fell down and it was agreed a minimum 12v supply would be good. Some of the batteries may be good enough and it may be possible to install a cheap solar panel. It was suggested lights be put on a timer.

 

6. Trailers in the Badluarach car park.

There are several boat trailers and a couple of ordinary trailers, some of unknown ownership, many probably redundant and taking up space. It was suggested it may be possible to convert some of these to a road menders trailer. It was agreed to put a note out to find owners and set a deadline for claiming ownership. Bill is prepared to try a conversion.

 

7. Road Job

This is being held back by the lack of a suitable trailer. Stock trailers aren’t up to the job. It was agreed to investigate cost and availability of tougher trailers

Aggregate from Chris Latham. This has worked well on its trial section, compacting well. The SCA is willing to order more, maybe 5 trailer loads before the end of the financial year, but this is held back by how quickly Chris can produce the material.

There was a discussion on at what stage potholes should be filled. If they are left until they are deep enough, they can be filled with large stones which will last longer.

Cathy requested that cleaning out the ditches along the Badrallach footpath be prioritised, as the recent wet weather has demonstrated the damage being done by running water on the path. It was agreed that this was valid work for the road menders, although our remit is only as far as the Cathair gate. Agreed after a vote that payment should cover time spent walking from the Ruigh’riabhach gate. Cathy will monitor work and sign off time sheets.

 

8. Pier improvements

No developments. The Nitrox is due to come soon with primary school fuel, which may be an opportunity for dredging.

 

9. Boats at Scoraig Pier Area

The foreshore east of the pier is crowded, but not all boats there are in frequent use. It was suggested some infrequently used boats could be moved to the west side of the pier. Bill agreed the Dolly Parton, which is due to go into the shed for repairs in January, can go west afterwards. The Paint Tray can also go west after the big animal feed ferry. The Serena can go up to the bracken when the mooring boat goes back in the water. The Red Rose is left by Malcolm at Scoraig  so that other people can use it as required through the winter and he expressed concern it would be harder to launch from the west side, also more vulnerable to storms. It was agreed to leave it to the east at present. Hugh made the suggestion a clear route be left from the shore, through the parked boats to the bracken.

Jytte mentioned that boats pulled up to the west during the last pier tidy up now obscure Alan and Kath’s view of the pier. It was agreed it would be good to move these.

 

10. Role of the SCA

Cathy suggested one of the most pressing issues on Scoraig was the declining population and falling school roll, together with the increasing number of empty houses and the failure of houses put on the market to sell. There are at present fewer opportunities for interested people to have a trial period at little cost and commitment. The SCA could play an important role in arranging and managing short term stays, if the various house owners were agreeable and contactable. The internet could be used to advertise availability.

Next meeting 20.1.13 at 2.30 in SSS                                                                                               Cathy

Download minutes of SCA meetings here

Reach page under the lighthouse photo above, and click SCA> Document Downloads.