SCA Minutes of a meeting held on 14.8.16

Scoraig Community Association

Minutes of a meeting held on 14.8.1

Present: Paul Betts, Jan Betts, Dale Nicholson, Martha Kerr, Mark Fletcher, Marey Fletcher, Aggie Brudenell, Cathy Dagg, Laurence Glass, Winnie, Malcolm Alston, Jo, Nigel Rushforth

Apologies: Ewan Bush, Lisa Burstall

  1. Road maintenance: use of recycled road planings:

Correspondence: Laurence had requested further information from Douglas Miles, HC Roads dept, but he is on holiday.

Ewan Bush e-mailed his concerns, which were summarised by Cathy

The meeting referred to copies of the SEPA document, available online: https://www.sepa.org.uk/media/154246/road_planings_guidance.pdf

Arguments For: Paul Betts spoke in favour. The material is free. His opinion is that as the material had been laid for many years, any leaching of toxins would already have happened. HC are unlikely to do anything that would make them liable for environmental damage. The possible negative visual effect can be covered with sand. Some of the materials we are already using, eg lime, also leach into the environment.

Arguments against: Ewan Bush sent an e-mail. Cathy forgot to bring it to the meeting but summarised its contents. The full text is as follows:

  1. There is no guarantee that the material being offered is of non hazardous origin (without carrying out tests on individual deliveries)  It is the road contractors responsibility to determine the classification of the material before it is removed from the road surface by taking core samples etc. Tar planings from older roads
    may contain tar derived from coal which is classed as hazardous waste by Sepa.
  2. There is no mention in Sepa’s guidance of other known hazardous substances that accumulate over the years on road surfaces such as heavy metals, oils, rubber from tires etc.  I called Sepa in Dingwall and they did say it is possible that heavy metals would be present.
  3. If material comes from a Council Depo It is possible that invasive plants may be present and seeds may find there way onto scoraig. These storage sites are often contaminated with Hogweed etc. If planings are heat treated and come straight from road works then this is less of a problem.
  4. The planings may be very suitable on inclines where the Scoraig track is subject to heavy erosion. It should bind together if laid to adequate depth. It is arguably not suitable as a surface material for flatter sections of the road where rain water lies as it will inhibit surface water from draining through substrate.
  5. Scoraig is still a relatively pristine environment and it is easy to take this for granted. Please consider the long term effects of importing man made materials, cars and vehicles and the effect it may have on our environment. I am all for the planings being recycled into new and existing roads but why take the risk on the Scoraig track when suitable virgin aggregate is readily available at relatively low cost.

Other points raised:

Laurence is in favour of selected use of road planings in certain areas. It is 3-4 years since the material was first offered to Scoraig by HC and there may now be none available anyway. The proposal is to take an initial small amount for experiment

Malcolm pointed out that over the years pebbles off the shore have proven not to settle in well enough, scalping from Chris Latham’s rock crusher came too slowly in small quantities and cost quite a lot. He feels some areas of the track will be suitable for, and benefit from, use of road planings and feels that HC would not knowingly distribute harmful material. HC, as we know, are cash-strapped and our future road mending budget is not guaranteed. It would not be politic to refuse the offer of free material

It was noted that many years ago Tommy laid the same material along a section of the east end of the footpath at Badrallach. This has held together very well.

Jonah (not present at the meeting) had mentioned he’d be happy to see the material used at the top of the pier where the pebbles are eroding down.

Vote: For: 9 Against: 0 present but two expressions of against from people not able to be present

Abstentions: 4

It was agreed that a proviso for use would be that it would only be laid on any particular section of track after discussion with, and approval of, people whose land/house/garden lies below the track.

  1. Other Road Matters:

Road Finances: There is £700 left after SCA has taken its 10%. £300 will be held back to pay Ian for work on the footpath this coming winter. The culvert work has cost an unexpected £200 but some compensation may be forthcoming from HC Education Dept who commissioned the drill rig.

Culvert repairs: This is now almost up to full height and road will re-open to normal traffic Monday morning. Crushed ditch below Kenny’s may need repair work

Other road priorities: Water on track between Michel’s gate and Betts’ gate, above Beavitts and just east of Lisa’s pond

Vegetation should really be cleared back from the road, particularly as this prevents pedestrians and cyclists from being able to step out of the way of vehicles. This could be done by volunteers taking the section below their crofts. Paul offered to cut with a finger mower if anyone can lend him one

  1. Minutes of last meeting approved and signed

Matters arising: Paul has reduced the height of the boulder on the track going down to the pier and will try to reduce it more.

  1. Highland Council Harbour Dues: Cathy will write to Len Campbell suggesting compromise.
  1. AOB Jan Betts representing other people objected to the proposed cycle track, based on Hugh’s route options raised at the last meeting. One particular objection is that people would find themselves liable if a track user were injured. However, at this stage the idea had been put forward as a subject for debate rather than a firm proposal, and safety for all road users was the major intent.
  1. Next Meeting is AGM on 18th September at 4pm in SSS. All welcome, bring a £.

Cathy

Note: The minutes for most SCA meetings are archived here at the Document Download page.

SCA meeting Sunday 14th August at 4pm

Scoraig Community Association

There will be a meeting on Sunday 14th August at 4pm in the secondary school, open to all.

Main item on the agenda is the road, as usual.

There has been an offer from HC roads dept of a load of bitumen-based road planings. Although free and recycled, these may not be acceptable and, if you’re interested to find out more, have a read of:

https://www.sepa.org.uk/media/154246/road_planings_guidance.pdf

If there’s time, other business will be discussed.

SCA Extraordinary General Meeting

SCA Extraordinary General Meeting

held on Sunday 25th October 2015

Present: Malcolm Alston, Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Nigel Rushforth, Aggie Brudenell, Estha Rushforth

Apologies: Ewan Bush

  1. Minutes of previous meeting read and approved.
  1. Laurence resigned as chair. Cathy proposed Malcolm as chair, seconded by Estha. Malcolm agreed on the understanding that Winnie would take priority over SCA and proposed a vice or rotating chair . It was agreed a temporary chair could be nominated if necessary. Malcolm proposed to introduce a 90 minute maximum duration for SCA meetings unless otherwise agreed in advance.
  1. Road: It was agreed that a lorry load of Ullapool quarry aggregate, this being 19 tonnes at a price of £358 would be ordered. A volunteer day will be called for bagging and ferrying. Meanwhile Douglas Miles from Highland Council has been on holiday and not responded to our request for materials but this avenue will still be pursued, and HC will be asked if any left-over part loads after road works in the area could be given to us.
  1. Community Broadband: a request will be made for more information, particularly about potential start-up costs per household.
  1. Bonfire Night Saturday 7th November, 5pm start. STG are sending notes round. Malcolm requests that any contributions of firewood be added to feeder piles not main bonfire.
  1. Lighthouse: Aggie has given it a thorough clean.
  1. Next meeting 29th November 3pm in SSS.

Cathy

download SCA EGM 25.10.15

SCA public meeting 11th October

Scoraig Community Association

Public meeting held on 11.10.15

Minutes (download SCA meeting 11.10.15)

Present: Aggie Brudenell, Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Dale Nicholson, Malcolm Alston, Elly Edwards, Don Staniford, Luke Richards, Paul Betts, Janet Betts, Nigel Rushforth, Andy Cox, Martha Kerr, John Sangster, Sandy Lamb

1.Minutes of previous meeting read and approved

2.Road Job

2.1 Road job gaffer/ overseer/ co-ordinator. This role had been discussed at previous meeting and David Bush had expressed an interest but he has not been in touch since. Nigel would be prepared to do the job for the west end but not the east. Laurence then proposed that he resign as director of SCA to do the job. This was met with general approval and agreed to call an EGM in two weeks time, 25th October.

2.2 Discussion: The following aspects of the road job were discussed in detail:

  • Environmental impact of taking pebbles from by the pier, and alternatives. Some stone is produced during sand quarrying but requires a stone crusher. Agreed best use of available HC budget may be to buy aggregate. First HC will be approached to see if they can provide materials or plant. If none forthcoming, then £500 to be spent.
  • Value of volunteer days, but qualified with comment that volunteers need direction. Jan Betts suggested doing an audit of available plant and vehicles and peoples willingness to use on road.
  • Necessity of good road use, ie speed limit observed by all, 15mph is preferable but unenforceable. Andy Cox suggested road tax, but Malcolm felt this is already covered by our paying Council Tax
  • Footpath to Badrallach should be allocated its own budget, agreed £270 out of this year’s remaining budget
  • Road mending methodology: Andy Cox suggested ripping it up a section at a time and re-grading but this won’t work where it is eroded down to bedrock. Agreed different sections need different mends
  • Prioritising sections: agreed that the section above the Beavitts needs doing.
  1. Community Broadband: SCA has been approached to see what interest there is. Laurence will respond.
  1. Bonfire Night: Saturday 7th provisionally. Malcolm will provide wood for bonfire and the usual contributions will be made for fireworks.
  1. Next meeting is EGM on Sunday 25th October at SSS at 4pm. Laurence will resign as chair and a new chair will be appointed from present SCA directors.

Cathy

Extraordinary General Meeting of the SCA

There will be an Extraordinary General Meeting of the SCA in two weeks time, Sunday 25th October 4pm, at which Laurence Glass proposes to resign as chair and a new chair will be appointed. This is so that Laurence can take on the role of roadworks overseer

SCA Annual General Meeting 2015

Scoraig Community Association

AGM 2015-10-10

Held on 27.9.15 at Scoraig Secondary School

Present: Aggie Brudenell, Estha Rushforth, Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Ian Hammons, David Bush, Ewan Bush, Davy Forsyth, Zoe Fothergill, Dale Nicholson, Morag Hepburn, Malcolm Alston, Jo Baker, Jessie Millard, Elly Edwards, Don Staniford, Luke Richards, Paul Betts, Janet Betts, Nigel Rushforth.

Apologies: Winnie

  1. Minutes of the previous AGM were read and approved
  2. Chair’s report was read out by Laurence Glass
  3. Treasurer’s report was read out by Laurence Glass
  4. Mooring boat finances were reported on by Aggie
  5. All directors resigned
  6. The following directors were elected: Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Aggie Brudenell, Malcolm Alston, Estha Rushforth, Ewan Bush, Jo Baker

There followed a brief public meeting:

Present: Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Paul Betts, Janet Betts, Jessie Millard, Dale Nicholson, Luke Richards, Ian Hammons, Nigel Rushforth

  1. Minutes of previous SCA meeting were read and approved
  2. Mooring boat driving test. The need for a new examiner was discussed. Changes to the tick payment scheme were suggested, but it was agreed to defer this discussion to a shareholders meeting where more regular mooring boat users would be present
  3. Road job: It was agreed that the paid work to be done between now and the end of the financial year really needs a gaffer/boss/overseer in order to direct paid workers to where the work really needs doing, to maintain standards of work and to communicate directly with Highland Council on matters such as equipment and materials. This person would be expected to work on the road themselves but could take some agreed admin time. A split of remaining funds of £1500 to the boss and £1000 divided between other paid workers was suggested. This role will be advertised and discussed further at the next meeting
  4. Water on the hill for fire fighting. Jonah is about to take fenceposts to the damaged deer fence so may be able to take containers up
  5. First Responder: It was agreed that Estha would put the phone number onto her phone and act as co-ordinator
  6. Badluarach car park and caravans. It was agreed that now the summer season is past the abandoned caravans are less of a problem but should still be dealt with. Scrapyards will only take broken up caravans. They could be offered online as free to uplift.
  7. Next meeting Sunday 11th October at 4pm at the Secondary School

Cheers
Cathy

download here:- SCA AGM 15

SCA meeting minutes from 22nd March 2015

Scoraig Community Association
Minutes of a meeting held on 22.3.15

Present: Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, Dale Nicholson, Aggie Brudenell, David Bush, Zoe Fothergill, Martha Kerr, Luke Richards, Jan Betts, Paul Betts, Wojcieck Paszczyk, Jessie Millard

Apologies: Bill Burstall, Lisa Grant, Estha Rushforth

1.Minutes of previous meeting approved

2.Letter from Bill re. Boat maintenance schedule and firefighting equipment was read out to meeting.

3.Firefighting: A site has been chosen by the SSS gate for the beaters and land-drain holder. Aggie will dig the hole. 25 litre water containers are in the nursery shed and Jonah has tarp for covering them when they’re placed out on the hill. Paul and Luke offered to help get the containers into place along the ridge.

4 Road Maintenance: The last invoice has gone to HC but has not yet been paid. It was agreed that in future all timesheets should be submitted within 2 months of work being completed in order to keep our accounting up to date. At present there is no money to pay people, but voluntary work is always welcome. People could take responsibility for the sections below or through their crofts in terms of clearing ditches and culverts and diverting water flowing down tracks.

Davy has done a costing for creating a turning circle below no.10. John Sangster has said he will still dig sand from the quarry above his, but will have to charge £35 per hour from now on. Agreed that it’s still probably worth it as he can shift a lot of sand in an hour. Paul Betts pointed out that he too has a digger.

There followed a discussion about the need for capping pebbles with sand. Paul wondered if a dry sand/cement mix would be preferable, Laurence thought it would be too dry to go off. There was interest in trying a short section at the bottom of Chris’s hill.

Sleeping policemen below the Secondary School have not yet been put in. This could be done as part of the proposed volunteer day

There will be a volunteer road mending day on Sunday 10th May

  1. Mooring Boat: The engine is possibly running better, but there is possibly water getting into the connectors, and it was pointed out that it’s best to dangle these over the oars to keep water out. No new oars have been commissioned yet after it was ascertained that Topher’s friend would charge £200 each. Bev and Davy will be approached. Dale and Aggie are getting tar and W is sorting ropes. A date in May will be announced for getting the boat back into the water. The old rope will be for sale soon. There have been no bids for the Yamaha 8 so Laurence will keep it for spares for the new 8 replacing the 6.

 

  1. Badluarach car park. The abandoned caravans belonging to Ivan and Tony Marsh, and old trailers, should be removed. Laurence offered to contact Tony Marsh and offer to place his caravan on e-bay Martha offered to investigate the possibilities for official removal. Luke will dismantle and recycle his caravan

 

Bags of cement have been dumped in the pier shed and should be removed if anyone knows who they belong to. There is a problem with bins being filled with non-Scoraig rubbish when they are not locked, and with ordinary rubbish being put in the recycling bin so that the entire binfull had to go to landfill. Bill has spare bin keys if anyone has lost theirs

 

Peter Young’s shed is falling down, Laurence will contact him to ask what his plans are.

 

  1. Goats: Estate stalker is being contacted

 

  1. Ali Seanaids: Now that this house is going on the market, W and Chisha may have to move out this summer. W asked if anyone could think of somewhere else for them to stay.

 

  1. Next Meeting Sunday 7th June

 

 

Cheers   Cathy

 

 

 

SCA meeting minutes from 24th January

Scoraig Community Association

Minutes of a meeting held on 24.1.15

Present: Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, David Bush, Wojcieck Paszczyk, Andy Cox, Jill Beavitt, Jan Betts, Paul Betts, Luke Richards, Dale Nicolson, Aggie Brudenell, Bev Beavitt, Jessie Millard, Martha Kerr, Estha Rushforth, Bill Burstall

1.Minutes of meeting held on 19.11.14 were approved

  1. Mooring Boat: There are still problems with engine. Agreed to send it back to Brian Eadie for another look, with a suggestion it may be an ignition timing problem. Meanwhile, it may be possible to borrow or buy Chris Latham’s engine. Bev offered to look at the engine and report back. Bill may be able to cobble together a working engine. The old engine will be sold for spare parts, sealed bids to be received by Monday 9th. Meanwhile the boat is ready to go back in the water but launch will be delayed because of damaged doors being nailed shut. But boat will be turned over to allow new ropes to be put on. New oars are needed, Topher will be invited to make them, but if he’s not interested Bev or Davy Forsyth.

Bill stressed the importance of having an anchor, properly attached, and knowing how and when to use it is more important than having oars.

Agreed that W will take responsibility for ensuring boat is properly equipped, and someone will go through a service list with him. Andy Cox will continue to ensure there is fuel.

New mooring rope will be fitted during Easter holidays

  1. Road Job: there is still £1200 to be spent, work to be completed by end Feb so invoices can be submitted. Cathy is now signing off invoices, and Cathy or Laurence will advise on which work needs doing. Dale is working on the Badrallach footpath and will continue there. Luke has agreed to clear ditches at Ruigh’Riabhach and Martha will work on the road collapse and blocked ditches below Lotts.

Bill things pebble bags are still the best option for the top track, but there is concern John Sangster’s quarry may be exhausted. Work done with Nigel’s tractor and trailer was good and should be repeated.

Sleeping policemen at the secondary school: there are old posts in the Badluarach car park, or if these are too rotten some telegraph posts . Martha and David will ferry them over.

  1. Chris Latham’s Croft:   Fallen timber will be cleared and logs sold to raise money for STG after the legality of this has been confirmed by Rodney by e-mail to Paul Betts. Plant will be on the market and it was agreed the stone crusher was not worth the price and should be sold off-peninsula. The remaining tractor and two trailers, Bill is of the strong opinion should be bought by SCA for road job and community use. Agreed to contact Rodney to ask for a price.
  1. 5. First Responders. We are now down to six active responders. If there are enough interested people, training sessions could be arranged. Let Cathy, Laurence or Estha know if you’re interested.
  1. Fire Equipment . Bill bought two backpack pumps, one of which is being paid for by the Grazings Committee, he suggested the SCA buy the second. There are two beaters waiting to be brought up and installed near the school and the makings of two more if anyone wants to take on this job. Paul Betts volunteered. Water stations are needed at strategic points on the hill, Laurence will contact Davy Orr to see if he has any 25 litre drums.

Next meeting 21st March                                                                                                           Cathy