Scoraig, etc Common Grazings Shareholders’ Meeting to elect a new committee 26th March 2017

Scoraig, etc Common Grazings

Shareholders’ Meeting to elect a new committee 26th March 2017

Present: Malcolm Alston, Jonah Piggott, Nigel Rushforth, Cathy Dagg, Lisa Burstall, John Davy, Luke Richards

Apologies: Rona Bush, Jethro Brudenell, Jo Baker

1.Minutes of the previous meeting to appoint a new committee (February 2014) and minutes of the previous ordinary meeting were read and approved

  1. New Committee: Cathy proposed that only shareholders resident on Scoraig for at least 6 months of the year, or their properly appointed agents, should be appointed to the grazings committee. This was seconded by Malcolm and carried unanimously
  2. Office bearers: Jonah proposed all office bearers be re-elected, if willing. This was seconded by Lisa and carried unanimously. Malcolm suggested there should be a vice chair for when he was unavailable. Nigel agreed to take on this role

The Grazings Committee therefore consists of:

Chair: Malcolm Alston

Clerk: Cathy Dagg

Committee members: Rona Bush, Nigel Rushforth, Jonah Piggott, Jessie Millard, Lisa Burstall, Tom Forsyth, (represented by Davy Forsyth) Debbie Davy (represented by John Davy, also treasurer) and Jo Baker.

It is assumed that Sandy Lamb will become a committee member once his croft assignation is finalised.

  1. Matters Arising

Trees for burned patch: Andy Cox has trees growing on, but has decided they need another year in the nursery so there will not be any new planting this year.

Deer: numbers are increasing and we could do with an organised drive, possibly two guns.

Fence repairs: Cathy will contact David Bush to ask if he wants to carry on with this job, or whether he’d prefer to give it to someone else to complete. Luke offered to take over.

Badacrain creation of new croft: Luke, who is keen to be given the chance to acquire the assignation of a new croft at Badacrain, has made enquiries. The process is quite simple as much as that it is done by someone taking the land in as an apportionment, but this raises questions:

  • Does an apportionment have to be contiguous to a croft?
  • Can the grazings committee take in the apportionment, with all soumings being reduced proportionately?
  • Will Jane Rice give approval?

It was agreed Cathy would put questions to the Crofting Commission.

  1. Financial report: John Davy has amalgamated the previous two accounts into one, Barclays 10 day account with the balance standing at £4427. He received £300 compensation from TSB over their having paid the account to Rodney Latham by mistake. The Barclays account needs a third signatory, Lisa agreed to be this. John was thanked for his efforts.
  1. 6. Next Meeting 7th May 2017

FYI: below is a copy of the e-mail I sent to the Crofting Commission (Lynne Hendry, Grazings administrator) on 27th March. I haven’t yet had a reply.

Thanks for that. The new committee has now been agreed and the
paperwork is in the post.

We now have a couple of questions:

Firstly, there is interest in creating a new croft on the common
grazings. I believe this has recently been done successfully at
Badrallach, and the process is for the land to be taken in as an
apportionment. Is it possible for this to be done by the grazings
committee on behalf of all shareholders, with everybody’s souming
being decreased accordingly, or would it have to be done by one
individual crofter?

Secondly, due to the haphazard subdivision of crofts over the past
couple of decades, and crofts changing hands more frequently, we have
shareholders with no interest in using their grazings, and crofters
with no share. What would be the most straightforward way of revising
or reallocating shares?

many thanks

Cathy Dagg

If any new crofter/shareholder is uncertain about the meaning of being a shareholder, the role of the committee etc, please do ask.

Cheers, Cathy

Scoraig, etc Common Grazings Committee shareholders’ meeting minutes

Minutes of a Shareholders Meeting held on 27th March 2016

Present: Malcolm Alston (chair), Cathy Dagg (clerk), Jonah Piggott, Nigel Rushforth, Jessie Millard, David Bush, Sandy Lamb, John Davy, Andy Cox, Luke Richards

Apologies: Jo Baker, Lisa Grant

  1. Tree Planting: Andy Cox has the following trees ready to plant now: 100 alders, 500 rowans, 2500 birches. Planting day to be announced for April 9th, with soup and rolls lunch. 10.15 start. Trees will be left at Malcolm’s turning.
  2. Fertiliser: Andy has some and there may be another bag at Chris Latham’s. Sandy will check. These will also be put at malcolm’s turning. Small sprinkle required per tree
  3. Roe Deer: There are 3, maybe 4, resident this side of the deer fence, hiding in Malcolm’s/Beavitts. Malcolm estimates they have already destroyed about 20% of what he planted last year. Only solution is to shoot all. David will do it if they can be driven out onto the hill.
  4. Fence Repairs: There was more damage than noticed during the walkover after the fire. Agreed that if this takes the job over budget the shortfall will be paid by the Grazing Committee.
  5. Badacrain: Luke suggested that restoring Badacrain to a croft be considered, mainly as he is looking for a croft. Land east of Lee Brown’s may also be suitable for a small croft. Gerry O’Neill to be asked for advice on how to start this process. It was noted that when Sandy Lamb gets the assignation of Chris Latham’s croft he intends to divide it but the timescale on this could be long.
  6. Latham croft: Grazings Committee agreed to support Sandy’s proposal to reverse the process of amalgamating the two parts of Chris Latham’s croft into one and to write to the Crofting Commission when and if appropriate. This matter however is for Rodney Latham to decide to initiate.

Next Meeting Sunday 24th April at 4pm in Secondary School