Scoraig, Etc Common Grazings Committee
Minutes of a shareholders meeting held on Sunday 26.11.17
Present: Jonah Piggott, Davy Forsyth, Aggie Brudenell, Nigel Rushforth, Malcolm Alston, Cathy Dagg, Ian Hamond, Jessie Millard, Jo Baker, Luke Richards
Apologies: Lisa Grant, Rona Bush
Minutes of previous meeting were read and approved
1.Tree replacement planting: Jessie showed some examples of the scots pines which will be ready for planting on the hill next Spring. The agreed price is 50p per tree, so the total cost will be £500 less the £100 already paid. This cost will be divided between Grazing Committee funds and Malcolm. It is hoped that actual planting will be a volunteer effort. Noted that bare root trees will have to be planted soon after lifting from the nursery bed.
- Fencing: All replacement posts are now in, the north end has been repaired and stock fence added, all within the agreed budget. Slats have been added to the corner gate but it could do with replacing.. Small gulleys under the fence have been blocked using the burned fence posts. One further large gulley could be blocked with rocks. Luke has looked at the unburned fence sections. 40 tall and 30 short fenceposts are broken. These should be replaced, but may not all need to be if Luke fences off Badacrain. It was agreed that maintaining the entire fence is a Grazings Committee responsibility and that shareholders were happy for Luke and Ian to do the work. An approximate budget for this further work of £1000 was approved
- Ruigh’riabhach fence: Davy offered to walk the length of the fence to check deer ingress through gulleys. The perennial problem of the sea end was discussed. No material seems to withstand storm damage. There might be another point along the shore the goats wouldn’t be able to get round that the fence could be extended to.
- Use for Common Grazing. Davy would like to look at other uses for the east common grazings, which isn’t used for livestock. Forestry may be an option
5.Badacrain: It was agreed to continue with turning this into a croft, but that this would have to wait until Malcolm gets back after the winter
- Next meeting Sunday March 11th at 4pm in SSS but to be confirmed.