Terrestrial Broadband scheme needs support now

Here is the link.

Low User Tariff:

  • £20 per month
  • £100 Installation (£25 Self-Installation)
  • 10GB monthly cap
  • up to 50Mbps Download
  • up to 20Mbps Upload

 Standard User Tariff

  • £25 per month
  • £100 Installation (£25 Self-Installation)
  • Unlimited download
  • up to 50Mbps Download
  • up to 20Mbps Upload

Pay £400 for your first year and help it to actually happen.  Fundraising for one month only.

 

documents to download
hcb_quick_facts_160828 hcb_service_fundraising_availability_160824hcb_service_fundraising_availability_160824

BroomPower hydro scheme – using the power of nature to benefit our communities.

The BroomPower Community Share offer opened on 30th April 2016 and will close on 31st Aug (or earlier if the full amount has been reached). The minimum investment is £300 (due to related administration costs) and investors can invest any amount from £300 up to the maximum of £90,000. Group investments, investments on behalf of children and grandchildren and payment by installments will all be accepted. Each investor (or group) will receive one vote regardless of the amount invested and the level of your investment will remain confidential. If for any reason the scheme does not commence, then all payments will be returned to investors by 30th Sept 2016.

The level of interest paid on Community Shares will be recommended by the Board each year and voted on by members. The target level is 4%, but this may vary and no interest will be paid until generation has begun.

Investors should expect to maintain their investment for at least five years and can request that their capital be repaid in full or in part any time after that. All requests will be considered equally by the Board and the intention is to repay approx. 1/20th of the capital each year of generation. Under exceptional circumstances, capital may be repaid earlier than 3 years at the discretion of the Board. Once an investor is repaid in full, that investor’s membership will end.

Become a shareholder and member of Lochbroom Community Renewables Ltd (LCR)

 

Kiln Building and Casting Workshop

 

13410817_1585803478384177_1171288075_oThis workshop is taking place in the scenic off-grid village of Scoraig.
This is a 5 day intensive course that covers all aspects of casting: Kiln building, smelting, mould making, gravity casting, lost wax casting and sand casting.
The 5 day course inclusive of accommodation and ferrying to and from is £400 (materials and catering not included).
50% discounts available for students and seniors.

 

Scoraig Teaching Group Committee 27 April 2015

Scoraig Teaching Group Committee Meeting Minutes Monday 27 April 2015

Present: Jill, Aggie, Estha, Mairead, Chisha and Zoë

Apologies: Lisa, Anthea, Jessie

  1. Meetings Procedure

Zoë to take minutes. Jill to chair. Next meeting Tuesday 2 June at 11am.

  1. Admin Update

End of Year Accounts – New excel format, new petty cash policy 1 cashier, standing float, Bunkhouse income BACS or cheque.

VAT – STG eligible for reduced rate VAT as charity – form to return to HMRC with most recent accounts to receive certificate.

Office Computer – Thanks to Lee, looking into transfer of files from office computer to external hard drive to facilitate access.

Signatories – Finally completed after much delay/frustration – complaint registered, compensation awarded to STG of £620.40.

  1. Bunkhouse

Fuel – It was decided any future long-term tenants will be liable to provide their own fuel eg coal and gas.

Summer Bookings – 2 bookings taken already. Further promotion necessary for summer period between Monday 6 July – Friday 14 August. Update website to reflect this, post on Scoraig small ads, contact tourist office, post ad on gumtree. Zoë to do.

Alternative Accommodation Options – As there is currently a long-term tenant and there may again be, it would be good to add more info to the website about alternative options for accommodation. Zoë will co-ordinate.

New Bunkhouse – There was also the suggestion that funding streams could be explored to finance a new purpose built bunkhouse and this should be discussed with SCA, to see if there is interest, and if so, to establish a feasibility group.

Annual Maintenance Schedule – Water crisis at the weekend – filter needs to be changed on a regular basis so Aggie will do so in future. Rayburn needs to be looked after too. Suggested that an annual maintenance schedule is devised and followed. Zoë will prepare a draft for consideration at the next meeting.

  1. Secondary School

Stools ready for use – awaiting feedback from school. (Thanks to Ewan Bush for collection and delivery).

Lighting – Thanks to Hugh for the test spots in kitchen. Consensus please swap out cool white for warm. After discussion, Zoë to explore uplighters too for a more diffuse light option.

Chairs – very comfy and met with general approval – felt feet needed for chairs – Zoë to source in Inverness.

Nursery Toilet Floor – thanks to W for doing it, looks good, still requires some finishing mastic.

Blinds – Kitchen ok for projectors for the time being – we will continue to explore more permanent alternatives for both spaces.

STG Volunteer Day – Old well needs to be filled in. Suggested could combine with other jobs for an STG volunteer day. Bench varnishing to be included. Sunday 5 July is suggested date.

Windmill Workshop – went well – dinners hosted in the school – very positive feedback – £100 earned for STG.

Recurring Water Leak – either roof or water tank – Aggie to contact Aaron to come and give the roof a once over.

  1. Primary School

Teacher on Committee – In response to offer STG would be delighted to have a primary school teacher join the committee.

  1. Events

Jorgen Talk – projection worked well – described as very inspiring.

AGM – Wednesday 24 June – afternoon tea from 3pm meeting at 4pm.

Polish Food Night – Chisha proposes to host Polish Food night to fundraise for her education.

Children’s Party – Ellie and Don have expressed interest to book school for birthday party at the end of September.

  1. AOB

Nothing raised.

Jørgen Steen Nielsen will be staying on Scoraig

The great transition

From mid April to mid May the Danish journalist and author Jørgen Steen Nielsen will be staying on Scoraig to work on a book on the global ecological and financial challenges and the need for a transition to a sustainable, resilient way of living.

He has written on this subject for many years for his paper, Danish daily Information, and in a number of previous books. On Scoraig he will give a public talk to inspire discussion and learn from people living here. Trained as a biologist Jørgen Steen Nielsen’s starting point is the climate and ecological crisis, but seeing this as closely linked to the globalized growth economy he will discuss the challenges as well as the efforts made to pave the way for a new economy.

The lecture will be given at
Scoraig Secondary School on Wednesday 15th April at 8 p.m

dso-pixi omslag jsn-dall-2012-2

STG Committee Meeting Minutes Thursday 22 January

Scoraig Teaching Group

Committee Meeting Minutes Thursday 22 January 2015

Present: Jill, Aggie, Chisha, Zoë, Anthea, Mairead, Jessie

Apologies: Lisa, Estha

(1) Next meeting: meeting set for Thursday 5th March 2015 in 6 weeks time

(2) Admin update:

(a) Accounts – Cash Flow Manager updated Aug-Dec ’14 with associated documentation.

Current Balance £4,620.20

(b) Signatories – Joany removed and Zoë added will be finalised when branch visited to confirm ID.

(c) Bank Account Statements – address delivery admin error now corrected by bank.

(d) Rates Rebate – Form completed and returned to Highland Council (HC) awaiting outcome.

(e) Village Halls Grant Scheme – Application for £1K submitted to HC (including accounts retyped for 2010 -14).

(f) Online registration – STG now registered online with Zurich Insurance and OSCR.

(g) Office – External Hard Drive supplied by Tommy to transfer data from office computer but yet to be done – committee suggested contact Lee to facilitate the process.

(h) Chairs and stools – researched sources of both and shared with the committee

(3) ‘Dritfwood’

(a) Rental agreement: Administrator to arrange rental agreement with Claire until end of June.

(b) Fridge /freezers: The problems with fridge and freezers are now being dealt with. Thanks to all who have tried to help solve the problem.

(c) Electrics: Hugh asked to look at electric supply from windmill to Driftwood at some point.

(4)   Secondary School

(a) Chairs: It was decided to buy new chairs for the Secondary school. In order to raise funds for this an all day cafe event has been proposed. Date to be decided.

(b) Leak: Solutions will be invited to solve problem of leak just inside door of Secondary school.

 (c) Gas Smell: John is going to investigate gas smell in kitchen.

 

(5) Hearing Loop: Discussion ongoing about the possible instalation of a hearing loop in the secondary school.

 

(6) Events: Various events discussed, dates to be decided.

(7) Constitution: Further discussion about changes to STG constitution. This will be considered over coming months  in readiness for AGM.

SCA meeting minutes from 24th January

Scoraig Community Association

Minutes of a meeting held on 24.1.15

Present: Laurence Glass, Cathy Dagg, David Bush, Wojcieck Paszczyk, Andy Cox, Jill Beavitt, Jan Betts, Paul Betts, Luke Richards, Dale Nicolson, Aggie Brudenell, Bev Beavitt, Jessie Millard, Martha Kerr, Estha Rushforth, Bill Burstall

1.Minutes of meeting held on 19.11.14 were approved

  1. Mooring Boat: There are still problems with engine. Agreed to send it back to Brian Eadie for another look, with a suggestion it may be an ignition timing problem. Meanwhile, it may be possible to borrow or buy Chris Latham’s engine. Bev offered to look at the engine and report back. Bill may be able to cobble together a working engine. The old engine will be sold for spare parts, sealed bids to be received by Monday 9th. Meanwhile the boat is ready to go back in the water but launch will be delayed because of damaged doors being nailed shut. But boat will be turned over to allow new ropes to be put on. New oars are needed, Topher will be invited to make them, but if he’s not interested Bev or Davy Forsyth.

Bill stressed the importance of having an anchor, properly attached, and knowing how and when to use it is more important than having oars.

Agreed that W will take responsibility for ensuring boat is properly equipped, and someone will go through a service list with him. Andy Cox will continue to ensure there is fuel.

New mooring rope will be fitted during Easter holidays

  1. Road Job: there is still £1200 to be spent, work to be completed by end Feb so invoices can be submitted. Cathy is now signing off invoices, and Cathy or Laurence will advise on which work needs doing. Dale is working on the Badrallach footpath and will continue there. Luke has agreed to clear ditches at Ruigh’Riabhach and Martha will work on the road collapse and blocked ditches below Lotts.

Bill things pebble bags are still the best option for the top track, but there is concern John Sangster’s quarry may be exhausted. Work done with Nigel’s tractor and trailer was good and should be repeated.

Sleeping policemen at the secondary school: there are old posts in the Badluarach car park, or if these are too rotten some telegraph posts . Martha and David will ferry them over.

  1. Chris Latham’s Croft:   Fallen timber will be cleared and logs sold to raise money for STG after the legality of this has been confirmed by Rodney by e-mail to Paul Betts. Plant will be on the market and it was agreed the stone crusher was not worth the price and should be sold off-peninsula. The remaining tractor and two trailers, Bill is of the strong opinion should be bought by SCA for road job and community use. Agreed to contact Rodney to ask for a price.
  1. 5. First Responders. We are now down to six active responders. If there are enough interested people, training sessions could be arranged. Let Cathy, Laurence or Estha know if you’re interested.
  1. Fire Equipment . Bill bought two backpack pumps, one of which is being paid for by the Grazings Committee, he suggested the SCA buy the second. There are two beaters waiting to be brought up and installed near the school and the makings of two more if anyone wants to take on this job. Paul Betts volunteered. Water stations are needed at strategic points on the hill, Laurence will contact Davy Orr to see if he has any 25 litre drums.

Next meeting 21st March                                                                                                           Cathy